Friendly Towns of Tasman District
Tasman District has special recognised relationships with the following towns.
- Grootegast, Netherlands
- Motueka & Kiyosato, Japan
- Richmond & Fujimi Machi, Japan
Council has signed a friendly town agreement with Grootegast in Holland to encourage economic and cultural relations between our Districts.
The District's relationship with Grootegast carries a special significance. Abel Tasman was born in Lutjegast, in the Grootegast municipality. Tasman is the earliest recorded European visitor to New Zealand in 1642. Tasman District, Tasman Bay, Tasman Sea, Tasman Village and Abel Tasman National Park all bear his name.
- Official website of Grootegast, Netherlands (in Dutch)
- Wikipedia entry for Grootegast, Netherlands
- Wikipedia entry for Lutegast, Netherlands
- Te Ara Encyclopedia entry on Abel Tasman
Kiyosato and Motueka have enjoyed a friendship since 1990. There are regular exchanges of students and adults between the two towns.
Fujimi Machi, Nagano, Japan
Fujimi Machi and Richmond have an on-going exchange programme in place.