Submissions open on the Council's global gravel extraction application

Wednesday 26 September 2018

Tasman District Council – Managing the District's rivers

Notified resource consent applications under the Resource Management Act 1991

Submissions close: Friday 26 October 2018 at 4:30pm

Tasman District Council's Engineering Services Department has responsibilities to manage the District's rivers as a Catchment Board under the Soil and Conservation And Rivers Control Act 1941.  In this capacity it is seeking resource consents to allow it take gravel from riverbeds across the District to:

  • protect the bed and banks of rivers from erosion or instability
  • maintain efficient movement of water and sediment down the river
  • prevent or mitigate the adverse effects of flooding 

You can have your say on the resource consent applications by lodging a submission. 

Which rivers does the proposal apply to?

The proposal covers all of the rivers in the District  in specific zones, except for some exclusions.

The zones are the Rural 1, 2 and 3, Open Space, Recreation, Conservation and Rural Industrial zones (in the Tasman Resource Management Plan).

The exclusions include rivers in Abel Tasman National Park, waters to be retained in their Natural State under Water Conservation Orders, Te Waikoropupū Springs, Significant Natural Areas, and Nationally or Internationally Important Ecosystems Value Areas.

What resource consents are needed?

Resource consents are needed for:

  • the disturbance of the riverbed and the extraction of gravel, sand and other material
  • the discharge to water of any sediment or other contaminat as a result of the disturbance

Where some parts of the proposed activity happens in the part of a riverbed that the Tasman Resource Management Plan identifies as in the Coastal Marine Area, then these resource consents are 'coastal permits'.  

Having your say

Anyone can make a submission.

You can see the application, assessment of environmental effects and supporting information on our website, and if you decide to, it tells you how to make a submission. Please ensure we get your submission by the closing date.

View the publicly notified resource consent application: Council's global gravel extraction application