Proposed Regional Pest Management Strategy
As the current Tasman-Nelson Regional Pest Management Strategy expired on 30 June 2012, a review has been commenced and a Proposed Regional Pest Management Strategy was prepared for public submission.
Summary of Submissions and Hearing
The Proposed Tasman-Nelson Regional Pest Management Strategy was publicly notified on 30 June 2012. Twenty-six submissions were received by the closing date of 31 July. A copy of the summary and analysis of these submissions, along with a copy of the submissions, can be viewed at the following locations:
You can also download the Summary:
Hearing Date - 19 September
A hearing will be held on Wednesday 19 September for a Board of Inquiry to hear those submitters who requested to be heard. The hearing will be held between 10.00 am and 12.30 pm in the Heaphy Meeting Room, Tasman District Council Office, 189 Queen St, Richmond.
The address for the Board of Inquiry is:
- Tasman District Council, 189 Queen St, Private Bag 4, Richmond 7031.
Biosecurity Act Changes
The Biosecurity Act 1993 has been reviewed and the amended legislation is due for introduction into Parliament for its third and final reading later this year. It will require some significant changes to regional pest management strategies. As a consequence, there have been minimal changes made to the existing Strategy. The intention is to commence a major review of the Strategy in 2013 and introduce a new Strategy by 2015.
Summary of Proposed Changes
The significant proposed changes to the existing strategy are:
- The introduction of European Canker as a Boundary Control Pest;
- The introduction of Climbing Asparagus as a Progressive Control Pest in eastern Golden Bay;
- A new section on the Biological Control Programme;
- A new section on Marine Biosecurity;
- Changes to the rule requiring occupiers to control Argentine and Darwin's Ants.
The maps showing the current distribution of Total Control Pests, Progressive Control Pests and Containment Pests have also been updated.
View the Proposed Regional Pest Management Strategy
The new Proposed Regional Pest Managaement Strategy can be downloaded below:
The document has also been split into parts:
- Introduction and Background: Proposed Regional Pest Management Strategy 2012-2017 - Part 1
- Pest Managaement Programmes: Proposed Regional Pest Management Strategy 2012-2017 - Part 2
- Administration Provisions, Definitions, References: Proposed Regional Pest Management Strategy 2012-2017 - Part 3
Proposed Regional Pest ManagementStrategy 2012-2017 - Maps
The Proposed Strategy may also be inspected at any of the following locations at any time that these places are open to the public:
- All Tasman District Council offices and libraries, and
- The Nelson City Council office and libraries,
It is also available as a free CD on request from any of these locations. Copies of the document can be purchased for $25.