Building and Alteration

This section provides information that will help you through the building consent process, as well as application forms and useful links. If you are planning to build, carry out alterations or renovate your home or business, this is the place to start.

Most building work requires Building Consent. The consent confirms that the proposed work, based on the plans and documentation provided, complies with the New Zealand Building Code. It is needed to ensure that buildings are safe and sanitary, and that occupiers have a means of escape from fire. 


AlphaOne Online Consent Portal

Nelson and Tasman Councils are now offering a shared customer portal which means they are able to see consents submitted to both Councils. The customer portal can be accessed through a link on either Council website. Alternatively, customers can go to

Customers must first register in the AlphaOne system. A step by step video of the registration process and how to submit an application is available below.

Once registered, customers will receive an email which will allow them to verify and complete the sign up process. Once verified, customers will be able to sign in and lodge an application.

Customers will need to select the application type they want to submit and follow the prompts on the screen. Blue information buttons will give further information throughout the process.

Customers must submit a Certificate of Title as part of their application. During the application process, a link takes customers to Land Information New Zealand. This costs $15 and applications cannot be lodged until this has been uploaded.

Compliance and Regulation

Find out about rules for industrial premises and commercial buildings.

Inspections and Code Compliance

Once you have a building consent and work is underway, inspections ensure work is carried out according to the approved plans.

Earthquake Prone, Dangerous and Insanitary Buildings Policy

Read the Council's policy on Earthquake Prone, Dangerous and Insanitary Buildings.

Residential Swimming Pools

Check your responsibilities if you have a swimming pool or spa on your property.

Development Contributions

Fees must be paid on any development or subdivision that generates additional demand on services as calculated under the Council's Development Contribution Policy.

Related Information

Below are some useful links to sites dealing with a range of building issues.