Following consultation with Mayors, emergency services and other key agencies, it has been determined that the State of Emergency is no longer required.As at 12:00pm the State of Emergency has been terminated and shifted to a Notice of Transition.This notice of transition affects the Tasman District...

Cyclone Gita Update 008 -State of Emergency moves to Notice of Transition

Cyclone Gita Information - SH60 to open from Sunday pending final checks

News about limited, escorted access to SH60 over Takaka Hill from Sunday pending final checks.

Read the latest storm update

Solar Water Heaters

If you are installing solar water heating within the Tasman District, you will need to apply to the Council for a Building Consent.  The application form is attached below:

Solar Water Heating Information

information about solar water heating and solar energy is available from the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority (EECA).


The overall cost of a building consent for solar water heating is calculated including processing time, inspection fees, and fees for issuing a code compliance certificate once the building work has been inspected.