You may qualify for a refund of a portion of your rates. This page provides details about the Rates Rebate Scheme, the application form and links you to further information.
Applications open 1 August and you have until 30 June 2013 to apply for a rebate for the 2012/2013 rating year.
You can apply for a Rates Rebate if:
- You pay the rates on the address that you live at, and
- You were living at the address at the beginning of the rating year (1 July), and
- Your name is recorded in the Rating Information Database (RID) as ratepayer
Note: You cannot claim a rates rebate for the rates payable on a property that is used principally for business, farming, commercial or industrial purposes, or a home that is not your usual place of residence.
Tasman District Council administers the Rates Rebate Scheme on behalf of the Department of Internal Affairs. Rebates are calculated based on your household income, rates and the number of dependents.
- The income eligibility threshold for the 2012/2013 year is $23,650.
However, if your household income exceeds this amount you could still be entitled to a rebate depending on the total cost of your rates and the number of dependents.
- The maximum rebate amount for the 2012/2013 year is $590.
Rebates are granted under the Rates Rebate Act 1973 and you must provide income information so your rebate can be worked out.
You can apply for a Rates Rebate with our Customer Services staff at any Council office. Application forms can be obtained from any Council office or downloaded from the link below:
You will need the following information to accompany your application:
- A copy of your rates account
- Satisfactory proof of your income for the tax year 1 April 2011 to 31 March 2012.
Satisfactory proof includes income confirmation from one or more of the following depending on your cirumstances:
- Inland Revenue Department,
- Work and Income NZ benefits and supplements e.g accommodation supplement,
- Investment earning statements,
- statement of earning from your employer or
- for self employed people a personal tax summary or complete set of business accounts.
You have until 30 June 2013 to apply for a rebate for the 2012/2013 rating year.
Additional information is available from the Department of Internal Affairs website: