Rates Rebate

You may qualify for a refund of a portion of your rates. This page provides details about the Rates Rebate Scheme, the application form and links you to further information.

You will automatically receive a rates rebate application form and guide if you have received a rates rebate in the past. These will be sent in mid to late August. You need to pay your rates account as usual.  We will credit the rates rebate amount to your rates account and notify you once your application has been processed.

Applications open 1 August and you have until 30 June 2018 to apply for a rebate for the 2017/2018 rating year.

Who Can Apply for a Rebate?      

You can apply for a Rates Rebate if:

  • You pay the rates on the address that you live at, and
  • You were living at the address at the beginning of the rating year (1 July), and
  • Your name is recorded in the Rating Information Database (RID) as ratepayer

Note: You cannot claim a rates rebate for the rates payable on a property that is used principally for business, farming, commercial or industrial purposes, or a home that is not your usual place of residence.

Calculating Your Rebate      

Tasman District Council administers the Rates Rebate Scheme on behalf of the Department of Internal Affairs. Rebates are calculated based on your household income, rates and the number of dependents. 

  • The income eligibility threshold for the 2017/2018 year is $24,790.

However, if your household income exceeds this amount you could still be entitled to a rebate depending on the total cost of your rates and the number of dependents.  For example, you might receive a lower amount of rates rebate for income up to ~$42,000.

  • The maximum rebate amount for the 2017/2018 year is $620.

Rebates are granted under the Rates Rebate Act 1973 and you must provide income information so your rebate can be worked out.

How to Apply      

You can apply for a Rates Rebate with our Customer Services staff at any Council office. Application forms can be obtained from any Council office or downloaded from the link below:

Supporting Information

Unfortunately, applications can not be process without all of the following information:

  • A copy of your rates account
  • Satisfactory proof of your income for the tax year 1 April 2016 to 31 March 2017
    Satisfactory proof includes income confirmation from one or more of the following depending on your cirumstances:
    • Inland Revenue Department, 
    • Work and Income NZ benefits and supplements e.g accommodation supplement,
    • Investment earning statements,
    • statement of earning from your employer or
    • for self employed people a personal tax summary or complete set of business accounts.
  • A breakdown of Family Tax Credits received for the year ending 31 March 2017 from the Inland Revenue Department.

You have until 30 June 2018 to apply for a rebate for the 2017/2018 rating year.

Further Information      

Additional information is available from the Department of Internal Affairs website: