Apply for a Resource Consent

This page helps you apply for a resource consent.

Are you ready to apply?

Before you apply, please make sure you've checked out our advice about how we can help make the process as straightforward as possible.

Have you gathered all your information?

The Ministry for the Environment gives these guidelines for gathering all the information you'll need:

  • Get the application forms from the council’s website.
  • Refer to Schedule 4 of the RMA for a comprehensive list of the information that must be provided with your application. This is available online:
  • Complete an assessment of environmental effects (AEE). Every resource consent application has to have an AEE.  A Guide to Preparing a Basic Assessment of Environmental Effects is available on the Ministry for the Environment’s website:
  • Identify who might be interested in or affected by the activity and how they might be affected
  • Talk to the ‘affected persons’ and seek their written approval if you don’t want your application to be ‘notified’. Alternatively, tell the council why you don’t think they’re affected or why you can’t get their approval.
  • If this is a coastal permit application, you need to notify and seek views from any group that has applied for recognition of customary marine title in the area. You can find the list of applicants here
  • Provide an assessment of what you want to do against the matters set out in part 2 of the RMA and any relevant provisions of the documents referred to in section 104(1)(b) of the RMA. The documents referred to in section 104(1)(b) include district or regional plan, a national environmental standard, a national policy statement and ra egional policy statement.
  • Get any other information the council has asked for. This is often identified in the council’s plan or on the application forms.
  • Consider if you need to employ an expert (resource management professional) to help you prepare the information.


How to Apply

When you're ready to apply, here's what you'll need to do.

Step 1 - Prepare the documents for your application

Step 2 - Check the Tasman Resource Management Plan (TRMP) Information Requirements

The TRMP has chapters which set out the information requirements for each type of resource consent you might need. So if you are making a resource consent application you should supply the information stated (as relevant). Click on the following links to go to the appropriate chapter.

Land Use consents (land) TRMP Chapter 19 - Information Required With Consent Applications (pdf, 358 KB)
Land Use consents (water-bodies) TRMP Chapter 29 - Information Required with Consent Applications (pdf, 109 KB)
Coastal permits TRMP Chapter 26 - Information Required with Coastal Permit Applications (pdf, 36 KB)
Water permits TRMP Chapter 32 - Information Required with Permit Applications (pdf, 86 KB)
Discharge permits TRMP Chapter 37 - Information Required with Discharge Permit Applications (pdf, 78 KB)

Step 3 - Lodge Your Resource Consent Application

Your application can either be posted or delivered to any of our offices in Richmond, Motueka, Murchison or Takaka.  When we get your application we will give it a quick initial check to make sure it is complete.  If it is not complete we may either return your application with a letter explaining why it was not accepted, or we may put your application on hold while you supply any missing items.

Further Information

The Ministry for the Environment has excellent information about the resource consent process here:
An Everyday Guide to the Resource Management Act Series 2.1: Applying for a Resource Consent