Pakawau Community Residents' Association

Proposed seawall at Pakawau Beach Esplanade Reserve and coastal marine area

Submissions close: 4:00pm Monday 18 June 2018

The Tasman District Council has received an application for resource consents to construct a rock revetment-type seawall on Council esplanade reserve land and the coastal marine area at Pakawau.  

The proposed seawall will be about 345 metres long, adjacent to 1118 to 1154 Collingwood-Puponga Main Road.  It's intended to protect the adjacent private land from coastal erosion.

You can download a copy of the application documents through the links at the bottom of this page.

Alternately, you can see the application and supporting information at our offices during normal office hours.

Please note that if the resource consents are granted, Council as landowner for the reserve, has a separate process (under the Reserves Act 1977) to consider the seawall occupying the reserve land.  This process would only start after the decision on this application for resource consents was known.

Application details


Pakawau Community Residents’ Association


Pakawau Beach Esplanade Reserve and coastal marine area

Legal description

Lot 20 DP 5716 Blk XVI Pakawau S D Esplanade Reserve, and part of the common marine and coastal area

Consent type, application number and proposal

Coastal permit (application RM171015)

A coastal permit is needed to (a) disturb the coastal marine area, as a result of the works associated with the erection of the seawall, and (b) to occupy the coastal marine area with part of the seawall.

Land use consent - (application RM171289)

A district land use consent is needed to erect the 345 metre long seawall structure on land that is Open Space Zone under the Tasman Resource Management Plan.

Land use consent (application RM171290)

A land use consent is needed for the land disturbance activities associated with the construction of the seawall. This involves disturbing more than 1000 square metres of land, within 200 metres of the coastal marine area and over a single 12 month period.  

Have your say

We have more information on our website on how to make a submission.

Your submission must be in Form 13. Copies of the form are available from our offices or our website.

Resource consent submission form

E-mail your submission to , or your written submission, marked for the attention of Resource Consents Administration, can be delivered by hand to our offices or posted to us at:

 Tasman District Council, Private Bag 4, Richmond 7050.

Please note: your submission become a public document. If the application requires a hearing, it will be published on our Notified Resource Consent Applications webpage, including your name and contact details. Personal information will also be used for administration purposes, including notifying submitters of hearings and decisions. All information will be held by the Tasman District Council with submitters having the right to access and correct personal information.

Applicant’s address for service

If you decide to make a submission you will also need to send a copy of your submission to the applicant as soon as reasonably practicable after you have sent it to us. Their address is:

Pakawau Community Residents’ Association

c/-  Laurie Jarrett

By email:

Or by post:

1178 Collingwood-Puponga Main Road, RD 1, Collingwood 7073


01 Application 02 Assessment as lodged 03 Attachments 04 Further information 05 Peer review reports


Read more about how to make a submission

Return to the Currently Notified Applications page