How to make an Objection

This page explains the process for Objections to decisions or to further charges.

What is an Objection?

If you are an applicant you may object to the Council's decision on your application, or to the additional charges or costs that Council has requested.

Who can make an Objection? 

An applicant can object to the conditions that the Tasman District Council puts on its resource consent, but only if:

  • the application was not notified; or
  • the application was notified (limited or full notification) but no submissions were received.

The relevant section of the Resource Management Act is Section 357A. 

Section 357B also provides for a right of objection to a request by council to pay additional charges or costs.

When can you make an Objection?

 Your objection must be lodged with the Council within 15 working days of receipt of the decision. 

How do you make an Objection?

To make an objection, you must submit your reasons for objecting in writing to the Council.  It's important to set out the reasons as clearly as possible.

What happens after you have made an Objection?

The Council may either uphold the objection, negotiate a solution with the applicant, or else the matter will go to a hearing for a councillor or commissioner to decide.

If you are still dissatisfied with the Council's decision, you may appeal to the Environment Court within 15 working days of the receipt of the objection decision.