Apply for a Resource Consent

This page helps you apply for a resource consent.

Applying for a Resource Consent      

If you need a resource consent you, or your agent (e.g. your architect, builder or a consultant), will need to supply a resource consent application to the Tasman District Council. 

What to Include in Your Application

Tasman Resource Management Plan (TRMP) Information Requirements

The TRMP has chapters which set out the information requirements for each type of resource consent you might need. So if you are making a resource consent application you should supply the information stated (as relevant). Click on the following links to go to the appropriate chapter.

Land Use consents (land) TRMP Chapter 19 - Information Required With Consent Applications
Land Use consents (water-bodies) TRMP Chapter 29 - Information Required with Consent Applications
Coastal permits TRMP Chapter 26 - Information Required with Coastal Permit Applications
Water permits TRMP Chapter 32 - Information Required with Permit Applications
Discharge permits TRMP Chapter 37 - Information Required with Discharge Permit Applications

Lodging Your Resource Consent Application

Your application can either be posted or delivered to any of our offices in Richmond, Motueka, Murchison or Takaka.  When we get your application we will give it a quick initial check to make sure it is complete.  If it is not complete we may either return your application with a letter explaining why it was not accepted, or we may put your application on hold while you supply any missing items.

Once your application is accepted our staff will start processing it.
More information about how the Council processess resource consent applications.

Further Information

The Government has excellent information about the resource consent process here:
An Everyday Guide to the Resource Management Act Series 2.1: Applying for a Resource Consent 

Help Make Your Resource Consent Process Straightforward      

There are a number of things you can do to make your process as straightforward as possible and to help us (the Council) can process it more quickly.

  • Talk to our Customer Service Staff early, or make an appointment to see the duty planner to discuss your proposal.
  • Talk to the people who you or the Council think might be affected by your proposal.
  • Give the Council a well prepared Assessment of Effects on the Environment (AEE).
  • Respond promptly to requests for further information.

For more information on how and when to consult with other parties go to:
An Everyday Guide to the Resource Management Act Series 2.2: Consultation for Resource Consent Applicants

Related Links