Appleby Reserve, Richmond
Appleby Reserve is located on State Highway 60 beside the Waimea River.
Public toilets and changing rooms are located near the playcentre at the southern edge of the reserve. The reserve provides opportunities for sport, informal recreation and picnicking. The local school uses the sports field for football.
A raised stopbank bisects and is a prominent feature of the recreation reserve, protecting the grassed northwestern part of the reserve from flooding of the Waimea River. The southeastern part of the reserve is also predominantly grassed, but with several large macrocarpa trees in the southern corner and scattered willow trees along the river. A gravel road crosses the stopbank and provides access to the Waimea River.
The reserve was set aside in 1906 and has been used for a range of activities including camping. In 1991 a small part of the recreation reserve (1115 m2) was reclassified as a local purpose (site for playcentre) reserve. The Appleby Playcentre is now located on that reserve.
A management plan was prepared for the reserve in 1990 and revised in 1992 . It proposed three main types of reserve use: sports fields on the main grassed area adjacent to the playcentre (northwest of the stopbank); a children’s play area southeast of the stopbank; and, a picnic and barbecue area beside the river. The plan also permitted the provision of recreation facilities and buildings, restricted vehicle access, proposed the planting of trees for shade and shelter, and prohibited camping.
A cypress (Cupressus sp.) tree on adjoining road reserve is listed as a Specimen Tree in the Proposed Tasman Resource Management Plan.