Onekaka Hall, Golden Bay

Onekaka Hall is located on the the north east side of State Highway 60 between Takaka and Collingwood, towards the north west end of Onekaka settlement.

Photo of Onekaka Hall, Golden Bay


History

The existing hall building was originally built in Lower Rockville in 1911 for the Education Board and was relocated to Onekaka in 1924.  The building was used as a schoolroom at Onekaka until 1947 when the school was closed.  It was later taken over by the Golden Bay County Council and used as a community hall and in 1953 the title was freed and discharged of every educational trust affecting it.

Management

The hall is managed by a local committee that is elected three yearly, who are usually representatives of the groups that use the hall.

More information about the Onekaka Hall Recreation Reserve, Golden Bay