Mountain Biking Trails
There are numerous mountain biking options for all abilities across the Tasman District.
The Top of the South Maps website shows mountain biking trails in the Tasman/ Nelson region. Mountain bike trails are shown in red, general cycling trails are shown in orange.
Kaiteriteri Mountain Bike Park
The Kaiteriteri Mountain Bike Park has been developed on 180 hectares of land bordering the holiday beach settlement of Kaiteriteri. The park has a good range of trails suitable for the novice riders through to expert. The park is supported by Tasman District Council and managed by the Kaiteriteri Mountain Bike Park Incorporated Society.
The Mountain Bikers' Code
- Ride mountain bike and multi-use tracks only. If riding in forest or private land, ask permission from land owners before heading out.
- Respect other users; always give way to walkers.
- Leave no trace, never skid or drop rubbish.
- Keep your bicycle under control.
- Never spook animals and leave gates as you find them.
Mountain Bike Track Types
Tracks are graded using the Department of Conservation system.
Grade 1. Easiest. Fairly flat, wide, smooth track or gravel road.
Grade 2. Easy. Mostly flat with some gentle climbs on smooth track with easily avoidable obstacles such as rocks and potholes.
Grade 3. Intermediate. Steep slopes and/or avoidable obstacles possibly on narrow track and/or with poor traction. There may be exposure at the track's outside edge.
Grade 4. Advanced. A mixture of long, steep climbs, narrow track, poor traction and obstacles that are difficult to avoid or jump over. Generally exposed at the track's outside edge. Most riders will find some sections easier to walk.
Grade 5. Expert. Technically challenging. Giant climbs, narrow track and numerous hazards including dangerous drop-offs, sharp corners and difficult obstacles. Expect walking and possibly bike carrying.
Local Bike shops and websites have further information for more advanced rides.
- Golden Bay Mountain Bike Club website
- Nelson Mountain Bike Club website
- Tasman/ Nelson Mountain Bike Tracks on Tracks.org.nz website