Alcohol Licensing

Want a new alcohol licence? This section explains the alcohol licensing regulations in the Tasman District. Licences can only be obtained through the Tasman District Council Licensing Committee.

If you are planning to sell alcohol you must have the correct licence and a host responsibility policy stating how you will care for your patrons. You must also have a duty manager who holds a manager's certificate on duty at all times, although there may be exceptions.

Sale and Supply of Alcohol

The Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 came into force on 18 December 2013 and replaces the old Sale of Liquor Act 1989. The new Act changes some requirements for the licences and certificates that are issued. These pages have been updated to reflect those changes. All licence holders are required to comply with the new law.

Information Sheets

An information sheet is available that describes the different types of licences available and how to make an application. Please contact the Council on 03 543 8400 if you have any questions.

Local Alcohol Policy

Under the new law, Tasman District Council has developed a Local Alcohol Policy for the District. This came into force on 14 March 2015.

On Licence

This allows the sale and supply of alcohol for consumption in or on the specified licensed premises.


Allows the sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises.

Club Licence

Allows the sale and supply of alcohol on club premises only to club members, affiliates and guests of club members.

Special Licence

Allows for the sale of alcohol at special occasions and events.

Temporary Authority

Allows the new owner of a licensed premises to trade on an existing licence until they obtain a new licence in their own name.

Manager's Certificate

When alcohol is available for sale to the public, a manager who holds a current manager's certificate must be on duty.

Local Alcohol Policy

Learn about the proposed policy for licensed premises and maximum trading hours for the District.

Objection to an Application for an Alcohol Licence

If you need a new licence, check here about the process.

Licensing Process

On, off and club licences can take several months to process as various reports are required, and specified time periods must be allowed for the public to comment on the application.

All new licences are issued for one year (a probation year) and then normally will be renewed for a period of three years. If the Council, Police or Public Health indicate that the premises have been a concern during the previous licensed period, or the public object to your application, it may need to be determined by way of a public hearing by the District Licensing Committee.

If you require more information or assistance, please contact the Alcohol Licensing Team at Council on 03 543 8400.

District Licensing Committee

Applications for new or renewed licences including On, Off, Club and Special licences, and new and renewed Managers Certificates are determined by the District Licensing Committee.

Further Information