Food for Sale and Fundraising

This section explains what you need to know about the regulatory requirements for food businesses and selling food for fundraising.

Food businesses need to be registered under the new Food Act or if they are existing businesses under the old Food Hygiene Regulations. By 2019 all food businesses need to have transitioned to the new Food Act 2014. Some activities like charity and fundraising stalls may be exempt.

Food Businesses

How to get your food business registered and information on the types of registration.

Food Stalls and Food Vans

Information for operators of food stalls at events or markets, including sausage sizzles.

Making a Complaint About a Food Premises

If you wish to make a complaint about the hygiene practices, cleanliness or standards in a food premises please contact Council’s Customer Services on 03 543 8400 or email an Environmental Health Officer to provide details.

How to Report Food Poisoning

Food poisoning is a serious public health issue and investigation of suspected food poisoning is managed by the Public Health Service at the Nelson Marlborough District Health Board. If you think you have had food poisoning please contact them on 03 546 1537. They can arrange a faecal sample and conduct an investigation as necessary. 

Further Information