Household Hazardous Waste

Most people use various chemicals and substances in and around their households. This page provides information to help with appropriate disposal of hazardous household waste.

What is Hazardous Household Waste?

Common examples are old garden sprays, household cleaners, paint, glues, batteries and chemicals used in hobbies (e.g. pottery, lead-lighting). Putting out hazardous chemicals with general household rubbish can do a lot of damage. If the packaging is old and deteriorating the contents can present a hazard to kerbside waste collection staff.  

What are the risks?

Once placed in a landfill, the wastes can leach through soils, contaminating groundwater and even affect the food chain.

Resene Paintwise - Recycling of Unused Paint

Resource Recovery Centres collect unused paint and containers under the Resene Paintwise scheme:

Battery Recycling

Check if your household batteries can be recycled, then simply take them to your local resource recovery centre in a plastic bag.

Button cell batteries

Check the packaging – recyclable types are those containing mercuric oxide, zinc air, silver oxide and lithium.

Rechargeable batteries

Check the packaging – recyclable types are those containing nickel cadmium, nickel-metal hydride and lithium.

Car Batteries

Car batteries (lead-acid batteries) can be taken to the Resource Recovery Centres free of charge.

Where can I recycle batteries?

You can take recyclable batteries to any Tasman Resource Recovery Centre.

Batteries that cannot be recycled

Batteries that cannot be recycled include standard non-rechargeable household batteries such as AA, AAA, C, D and so on. 

These batteries contain zinc carbon, zinc chloride or alkaline manganese, which are safe to dispose of in your household rubbish.

Drop-Off Service

For the safe disposal of household hazardous wastes, Tasman District Council provides a drop-off service in conjunction with Nelson City Council. 

Tasman District Council remains legally responsible for the waste it accepts and it is therefore necessary to get authorisation for disposal prior to using the service to ensure everything is done safely. 

There is a nominal fee to be paid at the Nelson City Council Transfer Station for use of the service.

How to Use the Service

It is your responsibility to obtain the required documentation and transport the household hazardous wastes to the Nelson City Council Refuse Transfer Station in Vivian Place (off Pascoe Street) Tahunanui for disposal.

Download and complete the form below to request approval to use the service for your waste. Details of where to send it are on the form.

Packaging and Transporting Household Hazardous Waste

Make sure the household hazardous wastes are safely wrapped and contained, preferably in their original containers and include all labelling and other information. The packaged wastes should not be able to leak or mix with other packaged waste. Do not combine different hazardous wastes into the same container.

Materials Accepted

Essentially all household chemicals are accepted.  If you have an unknown substance and are not sure what it is, please provide any information you can, such as quantity, age, type of packaging, what it was used for (e.g. controlling insect pests on cabbages or fungus growth on leaves) etc.  This will assist staff to identify the substance.

Hazardous Waste Not Accepted

Some hazardous waste will not be accepted through this process and need to be handled by other agencies.  The following items will NOT be accepted:

  • Commercial hazardous waste;
  • demolition wastes (such as asbestos);
  • agricultural and horticultural hazardous waste;
  • explosives;
  • fumigants.

Further Information

Any queries about household hazardous wastes and their disposal should be directed to Council's Resource Scientist - Contaminants.

Contact Resource Scientist - Contaminants

Related Links