Your Recycling Service - FAQs

This page answers frequently-asked questions about your recycling service.

How do I find out what day my bin will be emptied?

Each recycling bin has a unique serial number and is assigned to a specific street address. The collection day is written on a sticker on the side of the bin – this is the day for both rubbish and recycling collections.

So, for example, if it says “Tue” then your collection day for weekly rubbish bags is Tuesday.

It also means that your fortnightly recycling collection will be on a Tuesday.

  • If you are unsure of your collection day, enter your property address on
    • In the left hand menu, click to expand Map Layers
    • Make sure the services box is ticked
    • Your recycling day should be displayed, your bin should show the week
    • If you have any problems please call us on 03 543-8400.

Back to Top

Which is my recycling week?

The sticker on your bin will also show whether your recycling collections are on Week 1 or Week 2.

Back to Top

What time do my bins need to be out by?

Your rubbish and recycling needs to be out by 7.00 am on collection day. Even if your truck normally services your street later in the day, there are sometimes unexpected events (i.e. bad weather or traffic incidents resulting in road closures) which may mean the truck needs to alter their route from time to time.

As long as you’ve put your rubbish and recycling out before 7.00 am, you’ll never miss your collection.

Back to Top

Why do you ask me to space my bins out from other crates and bins?

This gives the truck’s mechanical arm the room it needs to pick up the bin. If you have trouble measuring, use the bin width as a spacer. Make sure lids are closed and the front of the bin faces the road (wheels are at the back).

Back to Top

Why do we have to keep the glass separate and not just put it in the recycling bin?

We need to keep the glass separate in order to recycle it into new bottles. Please do not put broken glass into the crate (or your wheelie bin!), this can be dangerous for the driver emptying your crate and is also hard on the machinery used to sort the recycling.

Back to Top

Why is my bin so big?

So you can recycle more and so you don’t have to put it out as often. You can choose to put the bin out every second week, or wait until it’s full.

Back to Top

What if it is too heavy?

Recycling is generally quite light and the bin should roll easily. The problem with most recycling is not weight, it’s the space it takes up, especially in landfill. That’s why we’ve given you a big recycling bin.

If your bin is too heavy to push then this should be a red flag for you. Even though most recycling is light, sometimes if you have a lot of paper this can make the bin very heavy. This may result in the bin being classed as 'overweight' and your bin will not be emptied.

Use your judgement, if you think your wheelie bin may be overweight then take some items out. If you have stacks of paper to recycle, then divide it and put a bit out each recycling week. Or alternatively take to your local Resoure Recycling Centre to dispose of.

Back to Top

What if I live up a steep or long driveway? Will the wheelie bin work for me?

Our experience shows that most people are able to make the 240 litre bins work. Tow bar hitches will be available at Council ($22 each) and some people might choose to leave their bins closer to the road. If after a while you are not able to make your bin work, give us a call and we’ll find a solution that works for you.

Back to Top

I can fill one crate with glass in one week. Can I have more crates?

Each property is entitled to place up to two crates for glass recycling. If you need a second glass crate these can be collected from Council for $20.

If you have an excess of glass you can drop it free of charge at any of the Council’s Resource Recovery Centres.

Be careful not to overfill your crate. By looking at the crate side on, you shouldn't be able to see any glass sticking out above the top of the crate.

Back to Top

I put my bin or crate out on time, but it has not been emptied. Why?

If your bin and/or crate was out before 7.00am but has not been emptied, check to see if there is a sticker on the side. This will have been put there by either the driver or a bin auditor. 

The sticker will explain why your bin/crate has been left, there are a few examples below:

Contaminated wheelie bin

If your bin contains any non-recyclable items, such as soft plastics (any plastic that can be scrunched into a ball, including plastic bags), polystyrene or general waste. It only takes one non-recyclable item for your whole bin to be classed as contaminated, the driver will not sort through your bin for you. See the Kerbside Collection page of this website for a more detailed list of what can and cannot go in your bin.

Overweight wheelie bin

The mechanical arm of the truck hooks into the recycling bin and lifts it above the truck to be emptied. If your bin is too heavy to be lifted without damaging it, then it will not be emptied. This is rare, but if you struggle to push the bin, it may be overweight.

Overfull wheelie bin

If your bin lid does not close, it is too full.

Overfull or overweight glass crate

If by looking at your glass crate from the side, you can see bottles/jars sticking out above the top of the bin, then it will be classed as overfull. Overfull crates can be dangerous for the driver, both because they are heavy to lift and because the glass can fall out and break when the bin is being emptied.

Back to Top

My bin or crate was stickered. What do I do now?

If your bin or glass crate has received a sticker indicating a problem, you will need to fix the problem before your next collection.

For contaminated bins, you will need to remove all non-recyclable items and dispose of these appropriately. Either in your general rubbish or, if they are hazardous waste (i.e. oil containers), taken to your local Resource Recycling Centre for proper disposal. Your bin can then be put out for collection in a fortnight's time, once the non-recyclable items have been removed.

For an overfull bin/crate, remove the excess items and put your bin out in a fortnight's time for collection. You may need to split your recycling across a couple of collections.

If you cannot wait until your next collection, then you can take your recycling to your local Resource Recycling Centre.

Back to Top

Who owns the recycling bin?

The recycling bin and the blue crate aren’t owned by residents, but are owned and allocated by the Council to service an individual property (rateable unit).

Back to Top

If I sell my house can I take my recycling bin and blue crate with me?

No, the recycling bin and the blue crate are allocated to the property and must stay with the property for the new owners or tenants to use. If you’re moving to another house in the Tasman District, a recycling bin and crate should be waiting there for you.

Back to Top

What happens if my recycling bin or crate is damaged or stolen?

If your recycling bin is stolen, please inform the Council. Each bin has a unique serial number that can be used to identify it if we find it at another location.

Damaged or stolen recycling bins and crates will be replaced at your cost.

Replacement recycling bin - $67.60 (excluding delivery) or $133.60 (including delivery)

Replacement glass crate - $20 (excluding delivery), or $26 (including delivery)

Glass crates can usually be picked up from your local Council office without prior arrangement.

Back to Top

What if there are two flats on my property?

Recycling bins are allocated to each rating unit that pays the Refuse - Recycling Rate. In many instances where there are two flats, there will be two rating units and therefore two recycling bins will be delivered. If your property has its own rating number, a bin will be allocated and the sticker on the side of the bin will specify to which property address it belongs.

However, if the two (or more) flats or dwellings on your property are on the same rating number, then there will be one recycling bin allocated to the property. If you are a tenant and are not sure, check with your landlord.

If you require a second recycling service to your property, the Council can arrange this for a cost of $141.60 per year. This cost covers the use of the extra bin and processing of the extra recyling materials.

Back to Top

I'm a commercial property owner with muliple tenants. What can I do?

The new recycling bin will be issued to your property. It’s up to you to decide which tenant will receive the service, or if they will share the bin. Our contractor and other commercial contractors offer additional commercial services if you wish to use them.

Back to Top

I have a holiday home and might not be there on collection day. What should I do?

If you’re only staying for a few days at your property you can leave your recycling in the new bin until someone is there on a collection day. There shouldn’t be any problems with smells if you rinse your containers well, and because the bins are waterproof you can leave them outside.

We suggest you talk to your neighbour, property manager or maintenance contractor that looks after your lawns or gardens, who may be able to put the bin out for you.

Or, you can drop off recycling FREE at any of our resource recovery centres on the way home, or any time before you go.

Back to Top

The recycling truck doesn't come by my house. What are my options?

If you are within the recycling area and currently paying the Refuse-Recycling Rate then you should have a recycling bin.

Sometimes if you live on a rural or hard to access property, the truck will not be able to get to your driveway to empty your bins. In this case there will be a collection point nearby, agreed with our contractor, for you to place your bins for emptying. If you have any questions about the correct place to put your bin for emptying, please contact the Council on 03 543 8400.

If you are outside the recycling area, and not currently paying the Refuse-Recycling fee, you can opt to pay for the service separate to your rates at a cost of $141.60 per year. Contact the Council for details.