Community Development in Tasman District
This page outlines support available to community groups in the Tasman District, including the region's Found Directory, national websites and local support meetings.
Found Directory of Community Groups and Organisations
If you are looking for a club or group to join, this is the place to start. The Found Directory is an up-to-date listing of community groups and organisations in Nelson/Tasman. The Found database has more than 1700 organisations listed.
The Found website also includes resources and information for community organisations on governance and training opportunities.
Copies are available at Tasman District Council offices on request or from the website:
Register Your Group
Found relies on clubs, organisations and households to continue to list their groups and to ensure the contacts are up to date.
Go to the website to register or update your groups information.
Volunteer Nelson: Phone 03 546 7681
Community Whanau Meetings
Regular meetings with the volunteer and community sector are held at midday across the region at the following venues and dates.
- Motueka Community House - first Wednesday of the month
- Richmond Town Hall - first Tuesday of the Month, (changes to second Tuesday Feb 2014)
- Nelson Salvation Army Rooms - second Thursday of the month
- Golden Bay Community Centre - fourth Thursday of the month
The Charities Commission provides advice and information for not-for-profit groups. If you are setting up a charity, or have questions about operating a charitable trust, their website is full of information.
Tools to Help Run a Community Organisation or Club
- Sport NZ Club Kit will give you tips and resources to run a successful club and have a lot of fun while you're there.
- Community Matters - promoting good governance.
- Community Net Aotearoa - an information sharing resource for NZ community and voluntary groups. Here you'll find guides, news and tools for and by clubs, groups, charities, trusts, hapu & iwi.
- The TrustPower Community Awards are annual awards open to all voluntary groups and not-for-profit organisations from health support groups and school PTA's to sports and service clubs.
Community Advice Bureau
The Community Advice Bureau is a community service where people can go to learn about their rights and obligations and also how to use this information to good effect to get the best outcomes.