Fencing between Private Property and Council Property

Where a landowner’s property fronts on to Council property (for example a walkway, park or reserve) they can apply to Council for a “Fencing Application”. 

Council will contribute 50 percent up to a maximum sum per metre including GST to cover the cost of the fence. The maximum unit rate basically covers a 1.8-metre high wooden paling fence of the standard expected in an urban area.

Note: Where the landowner wishes to install a decorative fence costing more than that of a standard fence then the additional cost will be at their expense.

Enquiries regarding fencing between private property and Council property should be directed to the Engineering Services Department, Phone: 03 543 8400.