Overweight and HPMV Permits

Vehicles heavier or larger than the standard dimensions need special permits to travel on the road. This page explains the rules and the application process.

Overweight Vehicles        

To protect the District's road network, there are strict controls on the overall weight and axle loads of vehicles. If your vehicle exceeds the limits because of the indivisible load you're carrying, or the vehicle's design, you need to apply for an overweight permit before you travel.

Application Process

  • Download the application form (doc, 503Kb) from the NZTA website;
  • Applications for overweight permits to use Council roads should be completed on the NZTA form and sent to Overweight Permits at the Council.
  • Please allow five working days for all permit applications.
  • It is the permit-holder's responsibility to ensure that a written request is sent for the renewal of any Continuous and Area permits prior to the permit expiry date.

High Productivity Motor Vehicle (HPMV) Permits        

If you want to carry divisible loads, such as logs, milk powder or freight more productively you may be able to operate on a high productivity motor vehicle (HPMV) permit. HPMV permits will only be approved for suitable vehicles carrying divisible loads of economic importance. Permitted vehicles must also be able to travel on routes that are suitable for the vehicle and load being approved.

The New Zealand Transport Agency provides a step-by-step process when applying for, or considering applying for, an HPMV permit.

Overdimension Vehicles        

Overdimsension permits are issued by:

Overdimension Permit Issuing Agency (OPIA), freephone 0800 OVERSIZE (0800 683 774) or fax (06 953 6313).

Overdimension vehicle information is available from the New Zealand Transport Agency.