Roadside Spraying in Rural Areas - Vegetation Control 

This page explains how roadside spraying and vegetation control is managed in Tasman - and gives you details about being added to the 'No Spray' list.

Pest and Weed Control

Tasman District Council’s roading maintenance contractor is responsible for vegetation control within the road reserve. This includes the use of non-residual chemical herbicides to knock down vegetation growing in the roadway and around street furniture. The contractor is also responsible for control of pest plants and other noxious weeds such as gorse, fennel, hemlock, blackberry, broom, bracken, purple pampas grass and box thorn.

'No Spray' Option for Residents

Residents can request that their rural property frontage not be chemically sprayed and instead undertake the vegetation control themselves. On approval Council will mark the no spray area with red marker pegs.

An application form to have your property included on the no spray database is available below. The completed form should be sent to the Administration Officer - Transportation, Tasman District Council, Private Bag 4, Richmond 7050.

Rural residents who choose the “no spray” option must control the vegetation growth along their property frontage to ensure road users are not impeded and all roadside signs and markers are clearly visible. Vegetation height should not exceed 300mm. Any stormwater drainage ditches need to be kept clear of excess vegetation. At intersections vegetation must be kept well clear to ensure good sight lines for traffic using the intersection.

Spraying on State Highways

Contractors employed by New Zealand Transport Agency undertake an ongoing vegetation control programme to ensure that roadside vegetation does not affect the safety or operation of the region’s state highway network.

This programme includes the spraying of chemical herbicides including the following active ingredients: Glyphosate, Metsulfuron, Terbuthylazine and Triclopyr.

Registration of Non-Spray Areas

Persons wishing to register their property as a ‘no-spray’ zone, which requires a commitment to maintain a property’s highways frontage to specifications provided by NZTA, may do so by contacting Lea O’Sullivan or Donna Hills on Ph. 03 548 1099 at Opus International Consultants, c/- Private Bag 36, Nelson.

Further Information

If you wish to talk to someone at Council about the “No Spray” list, please contact the Engineering Services Department, Phone: 03 543 8400.