Building consents

Everything you need to know about Building Consents - how they work, when you need one, and how to apply for one. If you are planning to build, carry out alterations or renovate your home or business, this is the place to start.

Home » My Property » Building and alteration » Building consents

All building work in New Zealand must comply with the Building Code, even if it doesn’t require a building consent. This ensures buildings are safe, healthy and durable for everyone who may use them.

A building consent means a consent to carry out building work granted by a building consent authority (BCA).

Plans and specifications are assessed by the Council, which is also a BCA, to ensure the proposed building work will comply with the Building Code. When the Council is satisfied that the proposal will comply, we'll issue a building consent for the work to proceed. During construction we'll inspect the work to make sure that it's being built to the consented plans; when everything finished, we'll issue a Code Compliance Certificate, which confirms the requirements of the Building Code have been met.

There's a lot to learn - do you need a consent? What does a consent application need, and how do you apply? How long will it take, and how much will it cost? Find out here.

Before you apply, you're welcome to come and talk to us.

Ready? Time to put together your documentation and apply.

You can find out the status and situation with any building consent, as well as its inspections, here.

This is where you will find useful information about pending changes to our procedures, policies and systems. You will also find important legislation changes and links to relevant and important information.