Pigeon Valley Fire Update 68 0800 Friday 22 February 2019
Wakefield prepare to evacuate notice lifted Civil Defence Group Controller Roger Ball has lifted the conditional re-entry status for Wakefield. The decision was possible because of the work that had been done in fighting the fire and means people living and working in Wakefield are no longer subjec...

Learn about building consents

There's a lot to learn - do you need a consent? What does a consent application need, and how do you apply? How long will it take, and how much will it cost? Find out here.

Home » My Property » Building and alteration » Building consents » Learn about building consents

Most building work requires Building Consent. The consent confirms that the proposed work meets the New Zealand Building Code. This ensures buildings are safe, healthy and durable for everyone who may use them.

Once an application has been received, the process that Council staff follow when processing the application is prescribed by the Building Act 2004. Here's how it works.

Council has twenty working days to process an application. However, if we need to pause and get more information from an applicant, it might take longer.

Commercial and public buildings have special requirements under the Building Act, to make sure that they're accessible to people with disabilities, and to keep people safe in case of fire or other emergencies.

We’re lucky to have lots of properties near beaches and on hills or cliffs in our district. The views are spectacular, but there may also be risks – especially if the land is subject to natural hazards such as erosion or slips.

This page lists forms and fees related to the building consent process.