Alert Level 2 - COVID-19
We need to 'Unite against COVID-19'. Go to  to find out the latest information on COVID-19. Latest media releases from Nelson Tasman Civil Defence Emergency Management: Seeking help as the Alert Levels reduce - 3 June 2020 Fire ban to be lifted following the shift to COVID...

Common property questions

Some of the most common questions we get asked about properties - from boundaries to fencing to noise control and more.

Boundaries, aerial photographs and title
Privately owned structures on or under a Council road
Building near the boundary - setbacks
Fencing between private property and Council property
Grazing the road margin
Keeping chickens and other animals
Noise issues
Overgrown or messy sections

Rules in the Tasman Resource Management Plan safeguard our significant trees from damage or unnecessary removal.

Why protect trees?

  • Amenity benefits
  • Historical association
  • Botanical/scientific interest
  • Preserve regional landmarks
  • Preserve character of landscape

Download the list of protected trees

Owner responsibilities

Before pruning or carrying out development within the root zone of a protected tree you need to contact us. We can provide advice and grant approval if appropriate.

For tree removal or major pruning works you may have to apply for resource consent. In some circumstances, we may waive the consent fees.

While most owners value their listed trees, we do receive complaints about poor management of trees from time to time. If you breach rules you could receive an infringement fine, or for serious breaches, be taken to the Environmental Court.

Practical tree care

A simple but effective way of caring for your tree is to look after its roots. A tree with healthy roots is more resistant to pests and diseases.

You can improve conditions for roots by applying a layer of good quality organic mulch on the ground within the 'drip line' of the tree. This will also reduce the effects of climatic stress on the tree.

Avoiding damage

Damage to protected trees is relatively simple to prevent but once done is extremely difficult and sometimes impossible to rectify.

A lot of damage to trees can occur during property development works. We strongly recommend discussing your site development plans with a professional arborist and Council staff before any work begins.

Further information

Rural addresses and RAPID numbers
Roadside spraying
Trees and vegetation
Trees in road reserve

Fire and Emergency New Zealand supports Volunteer Rural Fire forces in the Tasman District. These forces respond to local emergencies and issue permits to burn fires in the open.

These forces are located at Appleby, Brightwater, Lake Rotoiti, Ngatimoti, Upper Takaka, Wainui Bay and Motueka.

Fire permits

Permits to burn in the open are required in rural areas throughout the year within the Tasman District. Fire restrictions are in force all year. Permits are generally needed for all outdoor fires except enclosed incinerators and barbecues.

For permit enquires or additional information contact:

Principal Rural Fire Officer, Nelson Tasman Fire and Emergency New Zealand, phone 03 544 2441

Apply for a fire permit online

Apply on the Rural Fire Network website

Related links

Report roadside hazard

Last modified: