Noise Control

Some degree of noise in your neighbourhood is normal - here's what to do if the noise is excessive or unreasonable.

We respond to noise complaints and take action when noise is excessive or unreasonable. We don't regulate everyday activities such as:

  • Mowing lawns
  • DIY
  • Sawing or planing wood
  • Road repairs

These sorts of noise might be a nuisance to you temporarily, but as long as the hours of operation are reasonable, we may not respond to such complaints. 

Try talking to your neighbour

If you have a noisy neighbour, try talking to them first. If you can’t resolve the problem, phone us on 03 543 8400.

We are available 24 hours a day and an officer will respond to excessive noise (such as music) at the time of the complaint.

Tips for managing noise
What can I do about noisy neighbours?
When is noise unreasonable or excessive?
Report the problem on 03 543 8400
Are my details kept private?
What happens when Noise Control officers are called out?
What happens if equipment is seized?
What if the noise problem is ongoing, or happens at different times?
What about noise from commercial or industrial activities?
Aircraft noise
Barking dogs - contact Animal Control
Bird scarers or bird cannons - are they allowed?
Motorcycle noise
Noisy vehicles - contact NZ Police

Last modified: