Bell Island Wastewater Treatment Plant
Hearing: Monday 11 November to Wednesday 13 November 2019.
Starts: 1pm 11 November 2019
Venue: Beachside Event Centre, 70 Beach Road, Tahuna
[last updated 17 October 2019]
What happens next
At a Hearing the decision maker(s) considers the evidence from everyone, and submitters who wanted to be heard can explain in greater detail their submission. Before the hearing most of the evidence is shared so that everyone can read it beforehand.
The Commissioners released a minute on 13 September to set down the timetable, process and information requirements for anybody involved in the Hearing. Youc an see it in the Documents section below.
The timetable is:
- Council planner recommendation (s42A report) - available below.
- Applicant evidence by 2:30pm 24 October 2019 - made available on this webpage by 4:30pm.
- Submitter technical evidence by 2:30pm 1 November 2019 - made available on this webpage by 4:30pm
(technical evidence is prepared by an independent professional, such as a planner, engineer etc who has the competencies in a specific area of expertise).
If you're a submitter who isn't getting a professional to provide technical evidence - you give your evidence at the Hearing.
If you have any questions, they can be emailed to the Council at email@example.com.
Nelson Regional Sewerage Business Unit.
Bell Island, Waimea Inlet; 150 Bell Island Access, via Best Island; and adjacent coastal marine area.
Island No 2 Bell Waimea East District (CT56/193); and coastal marine area.
Consent type, application number and proposal
Details of the proposal are summarised in the public notice, and the resource consents sought include:
Discharge to coastal water (application RM171238)
Replacement for Permit NN000539V2 - Discharge of treated wastewater into Waimea Inlet from Bell Island WWTP.
Discharge to air (application RM171255)
Replacement for Permit NN000541 - Discharge of contaminants (primarily odour) to air from Bell Island WWTP.
Discharge to land (application RM171256)
Replacement for Permit RM071151 - To discharge treated wastewater to land (to the north west of the Bell Island WWTP) by way of irrigation.
Discharge to land (application RM171257)
Discharge of treated wastewater to land via seepage from clay-lined facilities (ponds) at the Bell Island WWTP.
Coastal occupation/structure (application RM171258)
To occupy the coastal marine area and to use and maintain an existing pipe and diffuser outlet structure, required for the discharge to coastal water.
The applicant's contact details are:c/- Duncan Cotterill, PO Box 5, Christchurch 8140
FAO: Katherine Forward
one level up
- 2_1 Appendix A - Existing Resource Consents (pdf, 5.7 MB)
- 2_10 Appendix J - Pipe and Diffuser Outlet Structure Plan (pdf, 739 KB)
- 2_11 Appendix K - Stakeholder and Iwi Consultation Supporting Information (pdf, 2.5 MB)
- 2_2 Appendix B - Projected Wastewater Influent Quality and Quantity Projections (pdf, 12 KB)
- 2_3 Appendix C - Cawthron Environmental Effects Summary Report (pdf, 4.2 MB)
- 2_4 Appendix D - Capacity of the Marine Receiving Environment to Assimilate Additional Nutrients (pdf, 1.4 MB)
- 2_5 Appendix E - MetOcean Hydrodynamic Modelling Report (pdf, 6.7 MB)
- 2_6 Appendix F - Emerging Contaminants Report (pdf, 507 KB)
- 2_7 Appendix G - NIWA Quantitative Microbiological Risk Assessment Report (pdf, 561 KB)
- 2_8 Appendix H - Cultural Effects Assessment (pdf, 1.3 MB)
- 2_9 Appendix I - Assessment of Objectives and Policies (pdf, 366 KB)
Previous status updates
- Submissions closed: 4:30pm on Friday 23 March 2018
- After the submission period closed, the applicant asked Council to suspend processing on 5 April 2018 to talk to submitters.
- As a result of consultation with submitters, the applicant gave the Council more information on odour and cultural effects on 20 December 2018
- Council agreed three times to extend to the time processing was on hold.
- The processing of the application recommenced on 4 July 2019.
- The Commissioners issued a minute on the process and timetable for anyone particpating in the Hearing on 13 September 2019.
- Start time and venue for the Hearing relased with s42A Agenda / Report 17 October 2019.