Learn about resource consents

Learn how the Resource Management Act and the Tasman Resource Management Plan set the requirements for resource consents, whether you need one, and if you do, how it will work.

Home ยป My Property » Resource consents and subdivision » Learn about resource consents

The Resource Management Act 1991 (RMA) is the main legislation that sets out how we manage our environment. At its heart is the principle of sustainable management. This involves making decisions in managing our natural and physical resources in a way that enables our communities, while balancing the effects of our activities on the environment now and in the future.

The RMA is the framework for managing our air, soil, and freshwater resources and our coastal marine areas. Alongside these natural resources, it also regulates how we use and develop land, and how we provide infrastructure. These are all integrated together in the planning system.

  • When you apply to the Council for a resource consent, we follow the processes set out in the RMA.

The Tasman Resource Management Plan (TRMP) is the Tasman District's combined district and regional plan. It has the objectives, policies and methods, including rules, that guides how we manage issues affecting people and communities, ecosystems, land, rivers, air and water. The rules in the TRMP will say whether you can do something as permitted activity, meaning you can do it as of right, or whether you need to get a resource consent first.

  • When the Council considers your application for resource consent, we follow the rules, assessment matters, objectives and policies in the TRMP. We also have to follow any rules that central government has made, called national environmental standards. 

Some guidelines on when you may need to apply for a resource consent - and also some instances where you won't.

Once Council receives your application, we must follow the process prescribed by the Resource Management Act 1991.

Subdivision means to divide land or buildings into separate parts each with a separate computer register (certificate of title). Subdivision also means to adjust the boundaries of any title, or even to amalgamate two titles into one larger title.

When processing a resource consent application, Council decides whether anyone will be adversely affected. Those "affected persons" then have rights in the consent process.

Council will decide whether or not to "notify" your application - to make it public and invite feedback - based on the relevant rules, the activity classification, and the scale and effects of the activity.

The Resource Management Act sets the number of working days that are allowed for each step of processing and making decisions on resource consent applications.

Find forms and fees - and remember, if you need help, please call us on 03 543-8400.

There's a lot of specialised, legal terminology associated with Resource Consents. This list gives you definitions for some of the terms you may encounter.