Courtesy tips to help you;
- You must operate your mobility scooter or power chair in a careful and considerate manner.
- You must use the footpath when one is readily accessible and travel at a speed that does not endanger others.
- It is illegal for you to ride, or let any person ride, in a way that may cause you or them injury.
- Keep left, pass on the right.
- Warn when approaching others from behind (some scooters are silent and so might not be heard by people who are hearing impaired).
- Move off a shared path if you have stopped so others can pass.
The NZ Transport Agency has compiled a booklet "Keeping Mobile". A guide on how to use your mobility scooter or power chair safely. Obtain a copy by downloading from the NZTA website;
Download Keeping Mobile(external link).(external link)